Friday, November 20, 2009

Crazy with it. Crazier without. Never certain. Never full of doubt. Now you feel it. Now you don't. Do you know what you're feeling?

As Karen O once said: "Get your leather, leather, leather ON".


I SPY: STYLISH ROCKSTAR OF THE WEEK - WEEK THIRTEEN - GERARD WAY (MY CHEMICAL ROMANCE)


So there I was last night- sifting through my countless emails, when the fashion universe decided to send a true gem my way.

I got the latest notification from the MCRmy newsletter informing me of the confirmed cover shot for the upcoming January 2010 issue of AlternativePress magazine, featuring MCR themselves. The band with the most anticipated album of 2010.

Mr. Chemical-Frontman Gerard Way has always been a silent fashion assassin. He's always been able to stop an obsessive fashion-freak like myself dead in her tracks because he's never afraid to push the envelope or bore anyone to tears. He is the master of reinvention. He comes out with fresh, new, complete head to toe looks and ideas every. Single. Time. He NEVER blends in, ALWAYS marches to the beat of his own drummer...

and more importantly? He NEVER GIVES A F**K WHAT ANYONE THINKS.

Classic example: remember when all the girls the world over had heart attacks when he decided to chop off his gorgeous raven locks for the "Ghost of You" WWII-themed music video? I'm sure all the MCR agents/managers/whatever tried to convince him against doing so... "why mess with a good thing", right? Did he care? Nope. He needed to do everything in his power to make sure the vision he was going for was accurate. Like a professional. (And he was to repeat the process for his transformation as the sickly, dead front man of The Black Parade, by bleaching his hair platinum blonde).


When My Chem first burst onto the mainstream scene in 2004, we were introduced to this pale, pretty face with a big voice wearing the darkest shade of pure black from head to toe, (the top part in the form of a leather jacket).


(Remember, kids, this was 2004 when leather jackets were nowhere near becoming a huge trend yet).


Another example of his fashion worthiness: If you were to look up the word "trend" in some kind of awesome fashion dictionary, you would see this story. Some time after the release of their second single, "Helena", off of Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge, I noticed that all these other rockstars were wearing a similar look consisting of solid black, button down shirts paired with bright red ties.

Billy Armstrong from Green Day... uh, where did you get the idea for this look?




Oh nevermind. I thought I recognized it from this guy:



I'm telling you. The bright red tie with a solid black shirt look was HUGE at this time. I remember seeing shiny red ties in the men's departments of all the stores. I remember seeing high school boys (who weren't necessarily MCR fans), wearing this look to their proms. Nobody ever gave Gerard Way credit for starting this look!!

And I've blogged about how huge the marching band uniform was in 2007, (remember? click).I even used the example of this trend exploding all over the place in one of my classes. Kind of was a huge success.


But I digress.

Back to current times. I get this photo in my inbox:



It seems to me that Mr. Way might be going back to his roots. Obviously he's a firm believer that leather jackets are a true fashion staple. He's worn different variations of them throughout the years, but this particular one reminded me of the one in the first picture (above) that I posted.


And you know who else I couldn't help but be reminded of???




Johnny "Crybaby Walker" Depp:


Do you see the resemblance?!
I'm anxious to see the rest of the magazine's pictorial. AP always seems to put their cover models in fun, themed photoshoots for the inside article/interviews. I wonder if whoever shot/styled this was inspired by the Crybaby movie.

Everything from the standing collar to the hair in the eyes. LOVING IT.




Even in his studio downtime, Gerard seems to be looking like a 'throwback' these days:


In yet another style of leather jacket. How gorgeous is this one? The quilting detail on the back. I don't even know where to begin looking for a design like this.



I don't feel like searching.

Find your own awesome leather jacket and drink a caffeine-iated toast to this stylish trendsetter.

Read his comics while you're at it.

I can't wait to see what looks he comes up with in 2010. I'm positive I'll be mentioning him again in future "I Spy" posts to come.








<3


p.s. I'm still so elated that Johnny Depp is The Sexiest Man Alive. I mean come on now, did you have a doubt??

4 comments:

Ginny said...

I am dying for their new ablbum to come out and I pretty much love every look he has. He always looks good without even trying.

kissa-bull said...

aww johnny just HAD to win ! He is so always going againts the grain too . so talented on top of being gorgeous.

Asylum Dolly said...

Awww Yeah, Johnny!!!! Break me off a piece o'that! Mmmm-mmmm....
Hello there miss, this is simi in disguise;) I'm back in bloggyland- got a new blog, but it's still being set up :S Looking forward to catching up though!

Gaby, held on by wires. said...

Ginny: yes, ma'am. I agree completely!

kissa-bull: I knowwww. He rules my world.

Asylum Dolly: EEEEEEEEEEEEK!! I MISSED YOU! and, sure, you can have a tiny piece of him... the rest is all mine! HAHAHA!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails