Tuesday, October 4, 2011

it's always Fashion Week, somewhere ;)

I've been trying to keep up with my favorite designers' Spring 2012 ready-to-wear runway shows and the most memorable shows so far have been Gareth Pugh's and Viktor and Rolf's.


Gareth Pugh:







The inspiration behind Gareth's Spring 2012 collection for men and women seemed to be birds of prey, this time around, (the women being the birds, I think). Some of the models had on really cool headpieces like this one, here.
It's Goth-Pterodactyl Fashion!!!
And some of the pieces, like this jacket to the right here, and the guy's shirt below, were these really cool cage-like creations.  They seem a bit stiff and uncomfortable, but they look amazing.


I can totally picture Tommy Joe Ratliff rocking the look  below, on the next 'Glambert' tour.



And this black and white striped coat is to die for.  In love.


Viktor and Rolf:





 Never ones to disappoint me with their conceptual minds, they really made me smile with this collection of what seemed to be life-sized doll clothes with blown-up handstitching.  I, myself, enjoy sewing up doll clothes by hand, (for my Living Dead Doll), and so the concept behind these looks really spoke to me.

So when I read the less-than-lovely review one of the writers for style.com wrote up for it, I was kind of perturbed.

"Dolls' clothes informed the girlish silhouettes, the stiff nature of the fabrics, the oversize lace prints, and the blown-up proportions of the stitching that held the clothes together. The naive quality of the lacing, as if it had been done by seamstress giants, worked on some of the pieces... Ultimately, though, it overpowered the show's prettier, simpler moments... The designers seemed to let their concept get in the way of what grown-up women might actually want to wear."

 Ummm... I'm sorry, but, what????  Are you kidding me?  Isn't the whole point of being a "designer" to, oh I don't know... DESIGN clothes??  If you wanna see "simple" clothes that "grown up women might actually want to wear", go to any other freaking fashion show!! How do you know what women actually WANT to wear? Not all women have the same tastes, you know. I, for one, enjoy UNIQUENESS.  (And I do secretly dream of being a life-sized doll, at times...)

Viktor and Rolf are one of the *few* design houses out there that actually use fashion as an art form.  And I hope they always will.

You can't be everything to everybody, everytime.  So whatever.



Yeah, I suppose I was in kind of a bad mood when I first read that, so it really made me grouchy, and I had to come vent about it on my blog!





 Everyone's a critic..

..but not everyone is an artist ;)





**all photos taken borrowed from STYLE.COM**

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails