Thursday, October 6, 2011

nothing from nowhere. (I'm no one at all).



I've been sick all week, and have spent the past few days sitting around, feeling blue and generally useless... but also nostalgic.  It started with a conversation about names that I was having with a friend, early Tuesday morning.  We were thinking back to certain nicknames/pen names/wanna-be-rock-star-names that we used to go by when we were teens, and how utterly ridiculous they sound today. Suddenly, I thought back to a certain singer whose real name was a complete mystery to the world, up until a few years ago, when he revealed it to a magazine.  His nickname, however, Davey Havok, is still what he goes by, and I asked my friend if he thought that Davey regretted ever calling himself Davey Havok, in the first place.  We figured probably not, as it still sounds cool to this day. 

But anyways, we spent all day reminiscing about Mr. Havok - we both idolized him in high school.  I, especially, can remember all the little things I did out of devotion to him, (and the band he came from: AFI).  Now, just so you know, I discovered AFI when their album Sing the Sorrow was released.. however, they had been around for quite some time before that.  But STS has always been my favorite album, and his style from this era and the ones that came before are when, (I feel), he looked his best:  I dressed in black skinny jeans and creepers like him, I grew my hair out super long and dyed it black, like his... I was even over-the-moon-excited when I found a cheap plastic ring at a dollar store, that looked JUST LIKE one he wore in a performance on t.v., once!! I adored all of his tattoos... I would doodle jack'olanterns and bats in my school notebooks.. I tried to convince people to start referring to 'Halloween' as 'Havokween' and thought about what it would be like if he was President, (Purple House? Nephillim Flag? Jade Puget as Vice President?? YES!).. I wrote a short story based on him, where he was a vampire in the future... To me, he was just the coolest person ever.  He was my idol. My muse. My hero.

OH.... HOW I MISS THOSE DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here are some old photos  :)

He was known for his love of The Nightmare Before Christmas... even got tattoo sleeves reflecting the movie.


I looooved the long hair. (I wanted to be his hairdresser so I could play with it!)
His stage presence was something that inspired me to write a (very bad) short story, haha. Futuristic vampire rockstar, anyone??

the pretty hair, once again... Such a shame that he keeps bleaching and chopping it shorter and shorter, these days.



I want to know: who was somebody that you used to idolize when you were younger?  How much did you use to fangirl/fanboy out??  Do tell :)


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails