Tuesday, May 26, 2009

When every day prays in hollow ends, DREAM SWEET LOVE SUBMERSIVE.

currently listening to: IAMX - Kingdom of Welcome Addiction, Shiny Toy Guns - Season of Poison, LIGHTS - Lights EP, The Ting Tings and CSS on slacker radio on my crackberry...

I love love love discovering new music. I love love love music, period.

I'm wondering if it's too late to get piano lessons at my age. I'd love to know how to play.

Anyway, I've been meaning to write a review on the new IAMX album, Kingdom of Welcome Addiction... so here you have it. I've never posted an entry with a detailed (personal) review, but I do enjoy voicing my opinions at any chance I get, hahaha. (Kidding..)

And if you're not already familiar with IAMX I just have one question: what the hell is wrong with you?! They're one of the greatest electronic musical acts of all time. Chris Corner (former Sneaker Pimps singer) is a musical genius with the most amazing sense of fashion and style. This is his solo act. And it never disappoints. I've talked about Chris Corner on this blog and posted pictures of him countless times. He is my MUSE. I once wrote an article for my now defunct zine about how he is a legendary fashion icon in the making and that more people would be smart to pay attention. I could talk about him for ages. I could (and SHOULD) write an entire entry on simply his fashion choices, but I'm not going to tonight. It would take too long.



Straight off the bat, I have to say that this album definitely feels a lot more subdued than their older releases and even evokes feelings of sadness and sorrow. But that doesn't mean I don't thoroughly enjoy this album as much as Kiss + Swallow or The Alternative. There are still danceable tracks, but they're not quite as energetic as I was used to. All in all, the main theme/feeling I get from this album is depression. These songs are about being depressed about life, the world and the direction it's going in, and being disillusioned with everyone and everything in it. In other words... it was written for ME, and it only helps to cement the fact that I think he is my soulmate. HAHAHA. (Kidding again.. or am I?).






Tracks:
1. The Nature of Inviting - this is an interesting intro. It's the one track off the whole album that sounds the MOST like the IAMX I was used to. Very danceable with a great beat that you can't resist tapping your foot along to. And I love the chorus: "I love you. I hate you. I love you. I hate you." Perfect intro that sets the mood and makes you wanna hear more.

2. Kingdom of Welcome Addiction - the title track. This one kinda reminded me of "President" in the little beat and circus-y little tune. I love singing along to this.

3. Tear Garden - this one could be a Cure song. I'm serious. That's what it reminds me of... and then again, The Cure DID have a song called Hanging Garden, no? But all in all, it's kind of a strange thing for IAMX to sound like... I think this is the least electronic sounding track.

4. My Secret Friend feat. Imogen Heap - My FAVOURITE. This is a very hauntingly gorgeous/gorgeously haunting duet between Chris and Imogen. I wasn't sure what Imogen Heap sounded like before I heard this song, but now I wanna hear more of her stuff. Her voice goes PERFECTLY with Corner's. The lyrics are great and poetic. I love to close my eyes and imagine eerie ballerinas dancing to this on a darkened stage.

(Left: Imogen Heap. Right: Bjork. How can you not love awesomely bad and eccentric fashion? Great talents dress alike, in case ya didn't know...)


5. An I for an I - this one's somewhat of an angry song... I sense possible political allusions/views on society. "If you're not with us you're against".

6. I am Terrified - It took me a while to get used to this song, but now I adore it. It's a truly sad song and I feel that Chris is giving us an honest glimpse into his personal struggles, his flaws, and current life situation. (He happens to be kind of a private person, so that makes this song all the deeper).

7. Think of England - I love this song. Surely you've heard of the saying "just lie back and think of England" when you're feeling down? Well, what he's basically saying with this is that he's unable to do so. England is his home country, but he's still "running from the fire".

8. The Stupid, The Proud - "God is dead. We get to sleep tonight." these dark lyrics are the opening phrase in an acoustic introduction. This is my second favourite song. It kinda feels like it should be played during a trailer for a dramatic movie.

9. You Can be Happy - Another good song for a movie. Or so I think... this one has strangely optimistic lyrics.

10. The Great Shipwreck of Life - Favourite numero 3. Super fun chorus to sing along to.

11. Running - In the same vein as I am Terrified, this is a beautiful and depressing song where he seems to be saying that after all is said and done, there is no help for him. Everyone is alone in the world... a quiet ending to a quiet collection.

And so that's it. Any IAMX fans out there: I'd love to know your thoughts/feelings on this album and if you agree/disagree with any of my own thoughts!!

And for everyone else, I leave you with this video.. my favourite video/song off of The Alternative: Spit it Out. Enjoy :)

<3

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails