Wednesday, November 24, 2010

the aftermath is secondary: part two.




"Danger Days: The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys" - My Chemical Romance's latest offering - is officially in my possession.

After what seemed like decades without knowing what my musical heroes have been up to, (aside from concentrating on their personal lives), I finally have some new auditory candy to fill my head with. The mission now is to fully memorize every single lyric by the time 2011 rolls around... or maybe I can do it by the end of November?? At the frequency I've been listening to these songs, I should have no problem.

For anyone who's a complete stranger to the stylings of this band, the first thing you should know is that each album they put out has a different story line to it that, in a way, is a fantasy created out of  band members' real life events. They're always jam-packed with honesty, and  realness that you can't get from any other band. The world was first introduced to a tragic tale of two star-crossed lovers whose only hope of a reunion in the afterlife consisted of making a deal with the devil: "I brought you my bullets, you brought me your love" and "Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge": pain of loss, gunfire, and plenty of screaming, (maybe a therapeutic release of sorts, for lead singer Gerard Way, after dealing with the grief of losing his grandmother)... most of us fell in love on the spot.  Next up came a story of.. well, more death. The big difference, however, being that it was meant to give one hope as opposed to despair, and a friendly reminder to celebrate life itself. Told through the eyes of an imaginary cancer patient and his childhood memories, "Welcome to the Black Parade" revived not only fans' spirits, but their wardrobes as well ;)

And finally, we have "Danger Days..." 

It seems that once upon a time, in a not-too-distant future, (that strangely feels like the present), a heartless corporation known as Better Living Industries is out to destroy every last shred of humanity that exists.  A band of rebels known as Killjoys spends their waking moments fighting against all it's brainwashing evils... no matter the cost.  Because as Gandhi once said, it's up to us to "be the change you want to see in the world".
When a little girl gets kidnapped by the Scarecrow Division of B.L.I., all hell breaks loose.


(Could this be symbolism referring to Gerard Way's real life daughter, and how his only mission in life now is to protect her from all he sees, and all he knows??)


It's always refreshing to get a glimpse into his current life through the lyrics and imagery that he creates.  The standout tracks on this album for me are "Bulletproof Heart", "Planetary (GO!)", "S/C/A/R/E/C/R/O/W", and "Summertime".  Oh, and I should probably mention that, yes, I'm well aware of how the internet works these days, making artists' new songs available instantly, often days before the actual 'album release', whether through bootlegging, or crappy live videos on youtube... but I choose not to be a part of it. It kills all the magic that used to once come with the excited anxiousness of waiting for that album to be made available in stores, and that first time you play the thing in its entirety the way it's meant to be played: with your ears open wide to each new track that you are hearing for the VERY FIRST TIME. 

Granted, I *did* choose to download the free version of "Save Yourself, I'll hold them Back", when MCR themselves offered it through their website, but I ignored everything else.  I wanted to experience this cd the same way I've always experienced them.  And, believe me, it's so much more worth it.  "Danger Days" sounds better every time you play it. I kid you not, kids.



"Bulletproof Heart" makes me want to sing along with tears in my eyes. Something about it is clearly meant to inspire hope and courage.

"Planetary (GO!)" is different from any other MCR song I've ever heard. It experiments with dance/electronic  sampling, and it's my current favourite to blare in the car while driving. It's energizing and fun and it rules.


But if I had to choose just ONE (current), ABSOLUTE FAVOURITE track, it's definitely "S/C/A/R/E/C/R/O/W".  For any seasoned fans like myself, who remember the song "Early Sunsets over Monroeville", off of their first album, we can be taken back to the same sort of twisted, gorgeous irony created by that song about a zombie horror movie with this one, told through soothing guitars and dreamy singing. It's probably the most 'mellow' song on this album, and it's beautiful, to say the least. Hide from the Scarecrow, kids. He is pure evil.

"Summertime" is a love song.  And I think it's Gerard's homage to his wife.  (Whom he just so happened to meet and marry in the 'summertime' of '07... 


"This planet's ours to defend"




Enough with the reading. Buy this cd now and thank me later.

<3

2 comments:

Law1sfab said...

Hey hunni glad you are back I thought you had disappeared. Do you like TOOL?

Gaby, held on by wires. said...

well, I don't claim to be the biggest Tool fan, but I do enjoy what I've heard from them in the past :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails